From the very moment you see the box of the new Pirelli P Zero Race tyre range knows you about to use a premium product, my personal highlight is that there is no nasty little plastic strap folding the tyre but an easily removable nice rubber one, also strongly resembles the iconic Livestrong wrist bands. They also look good, the labelling is minimal but looks great and the grey on black will fit with any bike.
Another detail before even installing the tyres that are thoroughly appreciated is the inclusion of well thought out and modern pressure recommendations, as both road rims and tyres get wider we need to rethink the pressures we are using. There are even recommendations for wet and dry conditions, but more on that later.
Something many won’t take as much notice of but is equally important is the inclusion of WAM (width as measured) and RAM (radius as measured) info on the packaging. In practice, this gives info on the actual size of a tyre depending on what width rim you’re using. In this case on my 21mm, wide rims the tyres are going to blow up to 29mm, which I checked and was spot on.
This isn’t usually much of an issue but as more of us are trying to it bigger and bigger tyres into bikes having actual measurements and a way to compare is very helpful. I’m sure every rider who’s tried a few different tyre brands has noticed that what one company calls a 28mm is up to a whole size different to what another company might label the same. This whole WAM and RAM system is another great idea of Cerveló founder Gerard Vroomen and one I hope catches on with more manufacturers, especially when we start talking gravel tyres. Install was clean and easy, personally, I'm on team 'tube inside' for any tyre under 32mm and if clinchers and latex tubes are good enough for Asgreen at Flanders they're good enough for me.
The set up I was using to test these tyres was my titanium Curve Belgie and a set of Bontrager Carbon clincher wheels. I initially set pressure at the recommended 81psi for my 71kg and 21mm rims and the only change I have made was dropping the recommended 5psi for wet conditions.